Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineadan
Stranger
substrate jars
    #10234682 - 04/26/09 02:21 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've been trying to do my research without posting, but I've come across a problem...sorry if it's been addressed somewhere else.

After full colonization of a rye substrate jar, how exactly do I fruit them? Can I use Perlite and water like cakes,putting the cakes in a container on top of the perlite, or do I need to use straw and soil...if I need to use straw and soil, what kind do I use and how do I use it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: substrate jars [Re: adan]
    #10234818 - 04/26/09 03:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

There are dozens of ways to do it. and its all very overwhelming when you're new, like me. But there is SO MUCH info on all this stuff, you obviously didn't look very hard. It does take time and effort to weed through all the info and find what you are looking for.

People will tell you to just choose a tek and follow it. You can look up "monotubs", and "bulk substrate" for a start.

You use the grain to spawn a batch of substrate, which there are several different ways to make. The mycellium colonizes the substrate, then you put the substrate into fruiting conditions. You can do it in a tray, and put that in a fruiting chamber, or you can make a monotub which in theory should be relatively hassle-free.

You just need to decide how you want to do it and then look up the teks, try searching "monotub tek" "bulk substrate tek" etc. I can't really say what's best being a beginner myself, but from what I've read, monotubs appealed the most to me, and I'm pretty hooked on doing it this way.

I chose to do a substrate with 2 parts coir, 1 part vermiculite, 1 part manure, 1/2 part coffee grinds  and 1/2 part gypsum. I used 1 part grain to 5 parts substrate. I made my monotub with four holes, but followed RR's advice to tape them up during colonization (10-20 days), and once fully colonized you give fresh air, then polyfill the holes, give light and change temp a bit, to stimulate fruiting.
bla bla bla, look up the teks... mine is working out REALLY well. But I had to spend a long time reading the teks, understanding the process, and whilst following specific instructions, working out ways to innovate in order to fit the specs of my own project, and not screw it up in the process.

hope that helps direct you a bit. good luck

Edited by shroombab (04/26/09 01:19 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: substrate jars [Re: shroombab]
    #10235407 - 04/26/09 08:37 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Bang the colonized jar of rye against a tire or book to break up the kernels so you can pour them out.  You can't fruit straight rye.  You'll need to mix it with a bulk substrate material, or pour it into a tray and apply a casing layer.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: substrate jars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10235418 - 04/26/09 08:40 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well, you can, I have done it (with a casing layer) -
but you'll sure get better results if you spawn to bulk.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: substrate jars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10235904 - 04/26/09 11:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Bang the colonized jar of rye against a tire or book to break up the kernels so you can pour them out.  You can't fruit straight rye.  You'll need to mix it with a bulk substrate material, or pour it into a tray and apply a casing layer.
RR

Ive seen rye fruiting like cakes, and the performed not too bad. cant find the pictures, but ill post them when i do.

I do agree that mixing with bulk or casing is a better option.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: substrate jars [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10236083 - 04/26/09 12:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:

Ive seen rye fruiting like cakes, and the performed not too bad. cant find the pictures, but ill post them when i do.

Oh, I've done that with WBS too- just pop the whole block out of the jar and fruit it. Performance was not exciting, but I got caps I could print.

But- Bulk, bulk, bulk!

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix