Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

Morel Info
    #10192231 - 04/18/09 09:00 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I have been looking for info on morels and have had the least of luck. I would like too get into these, if possible and see the differences in substrates, spawn, all the things that are involved.

They are a interesting species, and seem very popular on the market side, but not so much on the cultivating side, making info hard too find.

Im looking for any info, opinions, advice that anyone has too give about producing these mushrooms and seriously thinking about getting into these.

--------------------
American by Nature....  unamerican by Law :mafioso:

"Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblackdust
 User Gallery

Re: Morel Info [Re: Bugzy]
    #10192254 - 04/18/09 09:05 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Offlinefungusapien
Nomad
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Morel Info [Re: blackdust]
    #10192598 - 04/18/09 10:32 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

definitely not the easiest mushroom to cultivate, from what i've gathered. i'm determined to find some this season. depending on where you live, you should start taking walks in the woods and keep your eyes peeled. read up on some hunting tips.

--------------------
"It achieved symbiosis with human society early by associating itself with domesticated cattle." - T. McKenna

take a vacation, leave yourself behind...

**All posts are for research purposes only, and all content of said posts is hypothetical and entirely fictional.

OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

Re: Morel Info [Re: fungusapien]
    #10192626 - 04/18/09 10:41 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Good 'ol wisconsin, southern half, Idk if this is a good area or not.

Any Ideas of where, how they grow, or enviroments?

Why are they not so easy too cultivate?

--------------------

Edited by Bugzy (04/18/09 10:42 PM)

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #10192967 - 04/19/09 12:00 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Offlinethefinalhours
Student
 User Gallery

Re: Morel Info [Re: CH HELL]
    #10192983 - 04/19/09 12:04 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I know that you have a cold shock them for a few weeks in the fridge

OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

Re: Morel Info [Re: thefinalhours]
    #10193183 - 04/19/09 12:45 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

CH HELL said:
Try the search button next time.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9479734/gonew/1#UNREAD

No offense CH HELL...

Im well aware of the search bar, how do you think I found the forum:wow:

Search bar is for finding the topics your looking for and to learn what you can from what you find. Then you come too the forum to learn what you dont understand.

I can at least ask specific questions on a thread, after all that would be the purpose of a forum, would it not?

Doesnt help that I did use the search first and got 2results- not until after I had posted did I realize that I spelled morel wrong, so shoot me.

Might as well turn this 'Forum" into a library and post "NO TYPING!" signs everywhere.

Im donating a current thread to the search bar, am I allowed to post now? :finger: 

Sorry, I hate being treated like I am  dis-fuckin-lexic.

The cult link is helpful, and kind of the same reason I started this one (before I knew I spelled wrong) because I didn't think there was much here on morels.

Anyways, I'll leave it too the community to decide weather this thread lives or dies, PM my ass if you feel like telling me too use the search bar, or any useless information I will further ignore.

Thanks to those who have helped, I did find some more info so hopefully its enough.

--------------------

Edited by Bugzy (04/19/09 12:47 AM)

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10193210 - 04/19/09 12:52 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

:chillpill:  You are in the wrong forum...LOL
Was my link not helpful?:shrug:

OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

#10193273 - 04/19/09 01:07 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

lol, yes your link was helpful and made me realize I had spelled morel wrong.

I didn't mean too snap off, I knew someone was going too say it and then I saw it, I guess I had that one pent up for a while, kinda took it as a smart-ass remark at first , and then realized it wasn't like that. You actually posted a good link, so thats my bad.

Lil fed up w/ house arrest. been cooped up on this damn computer for 3months w/o leaving at all, just been here on the forum 24/7, reading,planning,learning and laughin since I signed up on here.

See if any new or more organized info comes through, a lot of what Im finding is all over the place as far as stages of experience. Try and start from the basics and advance from there.

Like I said, let the community decide if this thread lives or dies.

Sorry again CH HELL, happy shroomin

--------------------

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10193287 - 04/19/09 01:11 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

LOL  I understand,  its all good if you have any specific questions give me a pm.
  CH

OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

#10193310 - 04/19/09 01:18 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Do you know a lot about morels? That would help more than anything. Once I get questions goin in my head, I ll PM ya.

Thanks for understanding lol

--------------------

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10193394 - 04/19/09 01:49 AM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Well I know a lot about Morels,  but have never got one to fruit, so I am no expert but I could point you in the right direction.  They are not your normal fungi and are one of the hardest to grow,  very few people have had success growing them.  If you want info on growing it would take forever to type that's why I said if you have specific questions let me know.
  In Wisconsin you should be able to find some soon.
            GL,
            CH

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
    #10193805 - 04/19/09 05:48 AM (15 years, 21 hours ago)

This might point you in the right direction, but you might have better luck growing them outside.
http://www.thefarm.org/mushroom/morel.html

OfflineWingman4l7
Thinks Before He Posts
 User Gallery

Re: Morel Info [Re: Duggstar]
    #10194039 - 04/19/09 08:08 AM (15 years, 19 hours ago)

Do not follow the link that blackdust & Duggstar have given you - it is rife with errors and will guarantee failure due to contamination.  This link shows you which steps are incorrect.  The largest and most complete thread on morel cultivation is the morel cult thread that CH HELL linked to.

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Re: Morel Info [Re: Wingman4l7]
    #10194123 - 04/19/09 08:56 AM (15 years, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

Wingman4l7 said:
Do not follow the link that blackdust & Duggstar have given you - it is rife with errors and will guarantee failure due to contamination.  This link shows you which steps are incorrect.  The largest and most complete thread on morel cultivation is the morel cult thread that CH HELL linked to.

Thanks for the update, I didn't see that page.  I too am thinking of growing morel.  On the page that you linked to it says,
Quote:

Step 10. WARNING! POTTING SOIL IS NUTRIENT RICH AND WILL NOT HELP TO PROMOTE THE FORMATION OF SCLEROTIA! USE SAND, GRAVEL, OR VERMICULITE! DO NOT MIX! EVERYTHING MUST BE DONE IN LAYERS!

Does this mean that I should use sand, gravel or verm in lieu of potting soil, or should I have layers of sand and potting soil?

Quote:

Step 13.
Shake the jar to thoroughly mix in the mycelium.

This contradicts the notes to step 10.  Should I mix the jars at this point?

Quote:

Step 15.WARNING! POTTING SOIL IS NUTRIENT RICH AND WILL NOT HELP TO PROMOTE THE FORMATION OF SCLEROTIA! USE SAND, GRAVEL, OR VERMICULITE! DO NOT MIX! EVERYTHING MUST BE DONE IN LAYERS!
Make a fruiting substrate mix of 20% sand, 30% potting soil, 50% organic material composed of 80% small hardwood chips (ash, oak, maple, beech, elm, apple, etc.), 10% rice hulls, 5% soybean meal, 5% sphagnum, and a small amount of lime (the mineral, not the fruit) to bring the pH to 7.1-7.3. Mix well.

Should I use 50% sand in lieu of 20% sand and 30% potting soil?
I see another problem here.  Sphagnum I am pretty sure I can collect from the wild, and lime is pretty hard to come by, but I'm sure I can order it to be delivered.  But where on earth can I get rice hulls and soybean meal, or what can I use intstead?

Quote:

Step 19.
After 4-6 weeks, the surface of substrate should be covered with sclerotia. The hard sclerotia lumps are the secret to growing morels. These are the "seeds" of your mushrooms. Keep unused spawn refrigerated at 38-40°F. Spawn is viable for up to a year, under optimal conditions.

So if I am planting outdoors, I should only plant the sclerotia lumps as if they were seeds?

OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

#10195005 - 04/19/09 12:38 PM (15 years, 14 hours ago)

Thanks Duggstar...

Just a few things that are coming together in me little mind lol...

So far from what I'm gathering from the habitat and such of morels is:

*decaying trees of certain species
*Limestone, or lime enriched soil
*Possibly a certain degree of salt
* "swells", or pockets of moisture in the ground
*Areas that DON'T contain high amounts of clay
*Areas with a continuous supply of moisture such as swamp areas, river banks, somewhat offshore of the water body
* "leaching" too, or from a nutrient source such as roots and possibly decomposition of certain elements

* Maybe the morel does not decompose its own supply of nutes, or the nutes it requires are not readily available as a whole, but come from  decomposition itself. Whether of a decaying tree or wooded decomposition.

Which in a sense, decomposition does not begin until after winter/early spring, therefore suitable nutes become readily available during this time and are gone as soon as decomposition is complete or environmental conditions no longer suit the requirements for decomposition (of what it is that decomposes that morels favor), or until there is nothing left too decompose (leaves, branches e.t.c.). Also, certain elements can only decompose in the right conditions (early spring for example) and therefore morels could not obtain required nutrition after this stage.

Decaying trees last so long, for years and years because they can only decay when the conditions are right. Which happens too be the most during the end of winter, beginning of spring. This stage only last for a month or two (April through end of may, beginning of June). Afterwards, the conditions are too dry and only begin too "preserve" the decaying matter for the following year.

When trees and such grow ( I should note now that in no way am I trying too school anyone, just speculating as I think of various environmental effects and process's that can better lead too determining habitat conditions and resources.) Anyways, when trees and such grow, they are merely chemists themselves, obtaining nutrients and that from its environment. It needs too produce things like leaves, buds, color etc. too make up its own characteristics. This requires chemical reactions, obviously, too produce these characteristics. Trees take one chemical compound and make others and then the outcome is, say, the "green" of the leaves. When these leaves die or fall, decomposition takes place, breaking down these new compounds that were created by its habitat, and turning the leaves brown. Well that compound that made the leaves green, had to go somewhere.  When these new compounds are digested by the elements into the soil, they become available to the mycelium in its dormant stage. And thus, become suitable for morel's to fruit during the time this decomposition cycle lasts.

If morels only fruit during certain seasons, there has too be a logical reason behind this.

*What makes the morel surface for this short period of time?

*What are some other species of fungus and such that follow the same grow season? And what makes them grow.....is there a common factor between these and morels?

*What are the common factors in soil, surrounding dibre and such that are found around morel patches through out the various areas they grow?

* What do all these species of trees have in common that morels obviously feed off of and what are these species doing during this season?

-Is there a chemical reaction taking place where spent or unused remains of nutes are left for the shrooms. In other words, do the trees break down the nutes they need and leave a "nute residue" behind for the morels to digest?

- Or, do the trees release something during this time that the dormant myc prefers?

** Something happens after winter and before summer conditions in the ground that is a large factor in morel's. What are some various process's that take place during this time?

Many more questions will come of this whole thing. I believe that these conditions are crucial to morels. I live in south central Wisconsin, 1 1/2 from the so called "morel capital of the world", and am very familiar with the annual conditions of the area. I am hoping too go out and obtain some samples and such as well as records of conditions and all that good stuff.

The soil in these favored areas are very airy and full of limestone, like a 50/50 soil/sand mix that is moist and full of decomposed woodland, almost anywhere. lots of spagnum moss and healthy fungus of various species everywhere, particularly around moist stumps in warm weather do these seem the healthiest. I have never looked for a morel before, so I will be unable too give any specifics of matter content.

Say what you will, flame or not I ll get it. I will also provide information within the weeks too come from a very successful morel cultivator that has made this whole thing seem as if you were growing grass. I will tell what I can too help put the morel mystery too rest.

--------------------

Edited by Bugzy (04/19/09 02:35 PM)

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: Morel Info [Re: thefinalhours]
    #10244974 - 04/27/09 07:21 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

thefinalhours said:
I know that you have a cold shock them for a few weeks in the fridge

You have to cold shock and warm shock them the same day everyday for a whole week.

Merge these posts RR?

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#10245514 - 04/27/09 08:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Use a top soil. Or use a top soil, potting soil, wood mulch mix but keep the sand layer barrier between the grain and the soil.

But also consider that Gary Mills may be getting the sclerotia already grown in a separate unknown method, then inoculating the jars
with these sclerotium and having them to continue growing by feeding off the grain material.

The patent actually says hyphae, vegetative growth, or sclerotia.

Edited by AcidHorse (04/27/09 09:39 PM)

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#10245547 - 04/27/09 08:42 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Salt.

I'm not going to say use sodium chloride for sure. Calcium chloride or calcium carbonate is safer.

However since morels come up in neutral pH soils, salts are common.

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

Edited by AcidHorse (04/27/09 09:40 PM)

OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

Re: Morel Info [Re: AcidHorse]
    #10246650 - 04/27/09 11:16 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I thought this post was dead. Thanks for the tips Acidhorse, I read through the cult thread, but I am way behind that. I m in the basic understanding approach and trying to learn the way I normally do, hence the speculative post above. "elementary" is a better term when compared to the advanced info in the cult thread.

I am sure most know that morels "leech" from annual absorbtion roots of trees, which die off in cold temps and reproduce the same time morels do. Also those roots are dominate in the first 12'' of soil surrounding the tree where most drainage occurs.

Like I said, I dont know where people are at in this whole thing, Im just learning from a stand point that I can relate too and trying too catch up with everyone else.

I did not start this thread to oppose the cult thread, I was unaware of the cult thread at the time I posted this.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck