Methods for creating a non-nutritive, protective, moisture-providing top layer for substrates growing species that need this.
- 50/50+ Casing Tek
Ryche Hawk's 50/50+ casing tek version 3.1
- Why case? Why not?
The casing layer serves 4 purpose
- How do I initiate pinning on a casing?
Once the mycelium has appeared in the valleys of the casing layer it's time to trigger primordia formation.
- Easy Casing Method
Probably the simplest casing method for beginners to use.
- 60/40 Vermiculite and Coco Coir Casing Tek
An illustrated casing tek utilizing coco coir and vermiculite
- What different casing layer ingredients are there?
Peat (=Sphagnum Peat Moss) Unconsolidated soil material consisting largely of undecomposed, or only slightly decomposed, organic matter accumulated under conditions of excessive moisture.
- PF Casing Method
Another simple casing method.
- Apprentice Casing Tek
Tips and lessons to help you become a better caser.
- Oss/Oeric Casing Mixture
A recipe for a casing mixture which can be substituted into any casing method.
- How moist should the casing mixture be?
The casing layer should me moist, but not wet.
- When should I put the casing into the fruiting chamber?
Once the mycelium appears in the valleys of the casing layer, meaning you can see mycelium strands beginning to poke through the casing layer, but the surface of the casing is not yet colonized, you should initiate pinning.
- Stamets Casing Mixture
Another casing mixture recipe.
- What do I do after applying the casing layer?
Once the casing has been created it should be left at colonization conditions to allow the mycelium to permeate the casing layer.
- Mini terrarium casing tek
A casing tek using colonized pf cakes and mini terrariums made of plastic cups and plastic bags.
- What is "overlay"?
Overlay is a term that refers to the condition which can occur to an overly colonized casing layer.
- Sphagnum Moss Tek
A way to grow Cubensis utilizing sphagnum moss to provide moisture.
- What is the difference between limestone, lime and quick lime?
- What is "deep scratching"?
Deep scratching is a recovery tool used to recover damaged casings from OVERLAY.
- The Importance of a Great Casing Yebo
A great document by ShroomGod discusses the various aspects of casing.
- Should I use a bottom casing Layer?
There is a very popular debate in the OMC (online mushroom community) about whether or not to add a bottom casing layer to a casing (usually a vermiculite or sometimes coir layer, notwithstanding what you used to case the top layer with).
- suck it
Fill the colonized substrate in a opaque casing container, level it with a clean spoon or fork and spoon the casing material on the top of it as even as possible, without pressing it down.
- What does it mean to patch a casing and what is it good for?
- What are some essential links and techniques on casing?
Please refer to thefollowing 3 links for reference to casing.
- Does a casing require a fruiting chamber?
The casing layer is what provides the moisture for the mycelium, but the humidity around the casing needs to be high, otherwise it will simply dry out.
- Casing material pH and why it is important.
"pH", is a measure to describe the acidity of a medium.